Sunday, February 13, 2011

Can You Live in a Pink Room?

In my last post I told you that I had redesigned my family room with pink as a "predominant color".  
Crater Ranch



My husband, looking over my shoulder as I was writing, was incredulous that we had a pink room in our house!  "What pink family room?" he asked.....That comment was very satisfying from a designer's perspective!  Because our family room, probably like yours, is the one room besides the kitchen that is used everyday.   And what man wants to think he is living in a pink room?!

While, I said pink was the "predominant color", I didn't say it "dominated" the room.  Clearly his comment shows that a color, such as pink, which at first seems very limiting, can be used creatively in unexpected spaces without slapping you in the face:

In accent pillows and accessories:
April 2007

Domino


 On one textile piece in the room (chair, carpeting, ottoman):
via Little Green Notebook

House Beautiful


via PepperDesign


I love how the back of this desk chair was upholstered! Who would have seen that coming?!
House Beautiful


Or an unexpected accent wall---here the bookcase is the accent wall!  Love it!
Alessandra Branca



The Washington Post Local Living section last week had an article which illustrated how a creative balance of strong colors can be achieved.  Writer, Terri Sapienza, featured a sitting room with coral-pink walls.
The Washington Post

 I loved her lead in "If you've grown tired of the grays, off-whites and earth tones that have dominated the design scene in recent years, you're in for a treat."  Amen to that!

Alessandra Branca and I must be design soul-sisters because the article quoted  her as saying "she chose a coral-pink for this Georgetown sitting room because she wanted it to feel fresh and exciting. "I grounded it with chocolate brown so it wouldn't be too feminine or girly," she says".   Exactly!

 The walls in my family room are purple---do you think hubby knows?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh agree absolutely!! The second image is luscious...and Alexandra's of course!! Great images

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete