Sunday, February 6, 2011

Everyday Design - My New Iron

 I am not a good housekeeper--having to bring out the vacuum (even a great Dyson) is like torture to me.  But as I have gotten older I have been more and more appreciative of a tidy house and have noticed that I have to pick up things I've left haphazardly around the house or the untidiness starts driving me crazy!  It must be a sign of age--or of living with a man who irons his jeans!


Speaking of that, on my list of household duties I hate is Ironing.  I don't even own an ironing board---when I do iron, I put a towel on my granite countertop.
hubpages.com

 After Christmas this year, I decided that before I put away all my holiday linens I would iron them so so they'll be good to go when I pull them out next year.  As we all know the road to hell is paved in good intentions---my tablecloths and napkins sat on my laundry room counter(aka ironing board) for four weeks--unfortunately, I am good at procrastination.
CountryLiving.com

I couldn't stand the thought of using my old Target/Walmart/Kmart iron, so instead I did nothing.  After working around this pile for several weeks, I decided the reason  I hadn't completed this task was that I didn't have the right tools.  So I did what I love to do--Research the Web (another great procrastination tool in my bag of tricks---not actually doing the task but feeling like you are taking some kind of action).   After extensively researching irons, I bought a Rowenta---the Mercedes Benz of irons. I bought a "starter" model for $75:  Rowenta's DZ5080 Focus Stainless-Steel 1700-Watt iron.


 Look at it!  It even looks speedy!  Well, I am here to tell you that it was money well spent!  I read all the directions (another procrastination trick) and made sure I "understood" my iron before attempting to use it. 
 Can I tell you what a pleasure it was?!  To hear and see the loud "whoosh" of steam each and every time I lifted the iron was like pure power--wrinkles didn't stand a chance.  The pointy tip of this iron is long---reminscent of Cruella Deville's high heeled shoes.  


This "high precision tip" gets into every crevice easily and irons out pleats effortlessly.  
 The ball at the base of the cord kept the cord from tangling and the stainless steel non-stick soleplate glided rhythmically over the fabric.  

I found myself getting into almost a meditative state ironing my linens.  
 I am currently reading "Quiet Mind- A Beginner's Guide to Meditation" compiled by Susan Piver.  

Larry Rosenberg's section on Vipassana meditation talks about meditation in daily life:

"The Buddha's teachings are not limited to silent sitting meditation.  We are encouraged to bring the mindfulness we develop while sitting to all the activities that make up our lives.  Bring undivided, full attention to every situation.  If you are washing the dishes, wash the dishes."

And if you are ironing your linens, iron your linens!  Having the right tools makes all the difference in any job!

It also makes me think about a quote I keep in my briefcase and try to keep in mind when working on any client project:

"When a customer buys a low-grade article, they feel pleased when they pay for it, and displeased every time they use it.  But, when they buy a well-made article, they feel extravagant when they pay for it, and pleased every time they use it. - Herbert Casson


Happy Housekeeping!!!!

theredvelvetshoe.typepad.com

No comments:

Post a Comment